The second-look operation for ovarian neoplasms: A study of 85 cases emphasizing cytologic and histologic problems

Cheryl M. Coffin, Leon L. Adcock, Louis P. Dehner

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

9 Scopus citations

Abstract

This study reviews the clinical, cytologic, and histologic findings in 85 female patients who underwent a “second-look” exploratory laparotomy to evaluate the response to therapy for primary ovarian malignancies. Most patients had no evidence of clinically active disease at the time of the follow-up surgical procedure, and, therefore, the results of the multiple biopsies and cytologic studies were paramount in the decision to continue or withhold additional treatment. Unequivocally positive or negative findings were obtained in 64% of cases. In the remaining 36% of cases, there was a spectrum of atypical cytologic and/or histopathologic features with sufficiently disturbing aspects as to raise questions about the differential diagnosis.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)97-109
Number of pages13
JournalInternational Journal of Gynecological Pathology
Volume4
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - Jun 1985
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Benign glandular inclusions
  • Mesothelial hyperplasia
  • Ovarian neoplasms
  • Second-look procedure

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'The second-look operation for ovarian neoplasms: A study of 85 cases emphasizing cytologic and histologic problems'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this