The Effect of Implant Density on Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Fusion: Results of the Minimize Implants Maximize Outcomes Randomized Clinical Trial

Minimize Implants Maximize Outcomes Study Group

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

1 Scopus citations

Abstract

Background:Severe adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS) can be treated with instrumented fusion, but the number of anchors needed for optimal correction is controversial.Methods:We conducted a multicenter, randomized study that included patients undergoing spinal fusion for single thoracic curves between 45° and 65°, the most common form of operatively treated AIS. Of the 211 patients randomized, 108 were assigned to a high-density screw pattern and 103, to a low-density screw pattern. Surgeons were instructed to use ≥1.8 implants per spinal level fused for patients in the high-implant-density group or ≤1.4 implants per spinal level fused for patients in the low-implant-density group. The primary outcome measure was the percent correction of the coronal curve at the 2-year follow-up. The power analysis for this trial required 174 patients to show equivalence, defined as a 95% confidence interval (CI) within a ±10% correction margin with a probability of 90%.Results:In the intention-to-treat analysis, the mean percent correction of the coronal curve was equivalent between the high-density and low-density groups at the 2-year follow-up (67.6% versus 65.7%; difference, -1.9% [95% CI: -6.1%, 2.2%]). In the per-protocol cohorts, the mean percent correction of the coronal curve was also equivalent between the 2 groups at the 2-year follow-up (65.0% versus 66.1%; difference, 1.1% [95% CI: -3.0%, 5.2%]). A total of 6 patients in the low-density group and 5 patients in the high-density group required reoperation (p = 1.0).Conclusions:In the setting of spinal fusion for primary thoracic AIS curves between 45° and 65°, the percent coronal curve correction obtained with use of a low-implant-density construct and that obtained with use of a high-implant-density construct were equivalent.Level of Evidence:Therapeutic Level I. See Instructions for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)180-189
Number of pages10
JournalJournal of Bone and Joint Surgery - Series A
Volume106
Issue number3
DOIs
StatePublished - Feb 7 2024

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'The Effect of Implant Density on Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Fusion: Results of the Minimize Implants Maximize Outcomes Randomized Clinical Trial'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this