Teaching forceps: The impact of proactive faculty

Ido Solt, Sherri Jackson, Thomas Moore, Siegfried Rotmensch, Matthew J. Kim

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

18 Scopus citations


Objective: The objective of the study was to evaluate the impact on resident forceps experience by a single proactive teacher. Study Design: A study was performed to assess the impact on delivery statistics and outcome following the assignment of a single attending to teach forceps to residents. A 2 year period immediately preceding and 2 years following the study was compared using χ2 and Student t tests. Results: After appointment of the specific teaching attending, forceps deliveries increased by 59% (8% of all births), whereas vacuum procedures decreased to 3% of births (P < .0001) compared with the prior 2 years. The overall percentage of operative vaginal deliveries remained unchanged (11%). Cesarean section rates were unchanged during the study period at 27% of all births. Perineal laceration, 5 minute Apgar less than 7, and birth injuries were also not statistically different. There were fewer fetal pH events less than 7.1 in the teaching period (P = .003). Conclusion: In the population studied, there was an association between increasing resident forceps use and a positive impact on birth outcomes from the designation of a full-time, experienced, and proactive faculty member to obstetrics teaching duty.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)448.e1-448.e4
JournalAmerican journal of obstetrics and gynecology
Issue number5
StatePublished - May 2011


  • birth injury
  • forceps
  • obstetric lacerations
  • operative vaginal delivery
  • teaching
  • vacuum


Dive into the research topics of 'Teaching forceps: The impact of proactive faculty'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this