Somatic mutations and germline sequence variants in the expressed tyrosine kinase genes of patients with de novo acute myeloid leukemia

Michael H. Tomasson, Zhifu Xiang, Richard Walgren, Yu Zhao, Yumi Kasai, Tracie Miner, Rhonda E. Ries, Olga Lubman, Daved H. Fremont, Michael D. McLellan, Jacqueline E. Payton, Peter Westervelt, John F. DiPersio, Daniel C. Link, Matthew J. Walter, Timothy A. Graubert, Mark Watson, Jack Baty, Sharon Heath, William D. ShannonRakesh Nagarajan, Clara D. Bloomfield, Elaine R. Mardis, Richard K. Wilson, Timothy J. Ley

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

140 Scopus citations

Abstract

Activating mutations in tyrosine kinase (TK) genes (eg, FLT3 and KIT) are found in more than 30% of patients with de novo acute myeloid leukemia (AML); many groups have speculated that mutations in other TK genes may be present in the remaining 70%. We performed highthroughput resequencing of the kinase domains of 26 TK genes (11 receptor TK; 15 cytoplasmic TK) expressed in most AML patients using genomic DNA from the bone marrow (tumor) and matched skin biopsy samples ("germline") from 94 patients with de novo AML; sequence variants were validated in an additional 94 AML tumor samples (14.3 million base pairs of sequence were obtained and analyzed). We identified known somatic mutations in FLT3, KIT, and JAK2 TK genes at the expected frequencies and found 4 novel somatic mutations, JAK1 v623A, JAK1 T478s, DDR1 A83V, and NTRK1 s677N, once each in 4 respective patients of 188 tested. We also identified novel germline sequence changes encoding amino acid substitutions (ie, nonsynonymous changes) in 14 TK genes, including TYK2, which had the largest number of nonsynonymous sequence variants (11 total detected). Additional studies will be required to define the roles that these somatic and germline TK gene variants play in AML pathogenesis.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)4797-4808
Number of pages12
JournalBlood
Volume111
Issue number9
DOIs
StatePublished - May 1 2008

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Somatic mutations and germline sequence variants in the expressed tyrosine kinase genes of patients with de novo acute myeloid leukemia'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this