Predicting outcome from intensiver care for patients with rheumatologic diseases

M. H. Kollef, R. J. Enzenauer

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

38 Scopus citations

Abstract

Objective: To evaluate 2 prognostic scoring systems in patients with an underlying rheumatologic diagnosis admitted to an intensive care unit (ICU). Methods. A retrospective case series review, carried out at a medical ICU in a military referral hospital. All adult ICU admissions with a known rheumatologic diagnosis were evaluated during 28 consecutive months. There were 48 ICU admissions available for review in 36 patients (1.33 ICU admissions/patient) during the study period. All patients were assigned an APACHE II and TISS score based on the first 24 h of ICU admission. Results. Eleven ICU admissions resulted in patient death (22.9%) and the remaining 37 admissions (77.1%) in patient survival and hospital discharge. Overall patient mortality was 30.6% for the study population. The APACHE II and TISS scores were each significantly different for survivor and nonsurvivor subgroups (APACHE II p < 0.0001; TISS p < 0.0001). Conclusions. In this group of patients evaluated at a single institution both the APACHE II and TISS scoring systems allowed subgroup separation between survivors and nonsurvivors of ICU admission. However, these scoring methods demonstrated limitations in terms of outcome prediction when applied to the individual patient.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1260-1262
Number of pages3
JournalJournal of Rheumatology
Volume19
Issue number8
StatePublished - Jan 1 1992

Keywords

  • APACHE II
  • intensive care
  • predictive scoring systems
  • rheumatologic diseases
  • therapeutic intervention scoring system

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Predicting outcome from intensiver care for patients with rheumatologic diseases'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this