Phenylthiocarbamide (PTC) taste thresholds were determined in 100 nuclear families using the complete sorting test. Segregation analysis using the mixed model suggested that the variability in PTC thresholds is controlled by a major locus with incomplete dominance as well as by a multifactorial component with significant residual heritability. Such a model explained nearly 96% of the variance, leaving only 4% of the variance in thresholds arising from measurement error and other environmental factors.
- incomplete dominance
- mixed model