Phakic Intraocular Collamer Lens (Visian ICL) Implantation for Correction of Myopia in Spectacle-Aversive Special Needs Children

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

14 Scopus citations

Abstract

Purpose A subset of children with high anisometropia or isoametropia and neurobehavioral disorders have chronic difficulties with spectacle or contact lens wear. We report the results of refractive surgery in a series of these children treated using bilateral or unilateral intraocular collamer lens (Visian ICL) implantation for moderate to high myopia. Design Prospective nonrandomized cohort study. Methods Clinical course and outcome data were collated prospectively for 40 implanted eyes in 23 children (mean age 10.2 ± 5.3 years, range, 1.8–17 years). Myopia ranged from −3.0 to −14.5 diopters (D), mean −9.2 ± 3.5 D. Goal refraction was plano to +1 D. Correction was achieved by sulcus implantation of a Visian ICL (STAAR Surgical, Monrovia, California, USA) under general anesthesia. Mean follow-up was 15.1 months (range, 6–22 months). Results Thirty-five eyes (88%) were corrected to within ±1.0 D of goal refraction; the other 5 (12%) were corrected to within 1.5 D. Uncorrected distance visual acuity improved substantially in all eyes (from mean 20/1050 [logMAR 1.72] to mean 20/42 [logMAR 0.48]). Spherical regression at last follow-up was an average of +0.59 D. Visuomotor comorbidities (eg, amblyopia, nystagmus, foveopathy, optic neuropathy) accounted for residual postoperative subnormal visual acuity. Thirteen of the 23 children (57%) had a neurobehavioral disorder (eg, developmental delay/intellectual disability/mental retardation, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, autism spectrum disorder). Eighty-five percent (11/13) of those children were reported to have enhanced visual awareness, attentiveness, or social interactions. Endothelial cell density was measureable in 6 cooperative children (10 eyes), showing an average 1% decline. Central corneal thickness, measured in all children, increased an average of 8 μm. Two children (8%) required unplanned return to the operating room on the first postoperative day to alleviate pupillary block caused by a nonpatent iridotomy. No other complications were encounterd. Conclusion Visian ICL implantation improves visual function in special needs children who have moderate to high myopia and difficulties wearing glasses or contact lenses.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)77-86
Number of pages10
JournalAmerican journal of ophthalmology
Volume175
DOIs
StatePublished - Mar 1 2017

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Phakic Intraocular Collamer Lens (Visian ICL) Implantation for Correction of Myopia in Spectacle-Aversive Special Needs Children'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this