CT venous phase venography with 64-detector CT angiography in the diagnosis of acute pulmonary embolism

Paul D. Stein, Fadi Matta, Abdo Y. Yaekoub, Ella A. Kazerooni, Jennifer Ellis Cahill, Lawrence R. Goodman, H. Dirk Sostman, Charles A. Hales, James E. Denier, John G. Weg, Dilraj Ghumman, Kevin M. Chan, Pamela K. Woodard, Yoojin Kwun

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

9 Scopus citations

Abstract

The value of computed tomographic (CT) venography in combination with CT pulmonary angiography has been questioned because of the potential dangers of radiation. Accordingly, we retrospectively evaluated the diagnostic yield of 64-detector CT angiography with CT venography. Among patients who routinely underwent CT venography with CT angiography, the CT angiogram showed acute pulmonary embolism (PE) in 206 of 1903 patients (10.8%). A positive CT venogram in a patient with a negative CT angiogram was shown in 25 of 1903 patients (1.3%). Either the CT angiogram or the CT venogram showed venous thromboembolism in 231 of 1903 patients (12.1%). The proportion of patients with venous thromboembolism diagnosed only by a CT venogram was 25 of 231 (10.8%). In conclusion, the proportion of patients with venous thromboembolism diagnosed only by a CT venogram is sufficiently high to merit consideration of its use especially in those at high risk for DVT.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)422-429
Number of pages8
JournalClinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis
Volume16
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Aug 1 2010

Keywords

  • 64-detector CT
  • CT angiography
  • CT venography
  • deep venous thrombosis
  • pulmonary embolism

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'CT venous phase venography with 64-detector CT angiography in the diagnosis of acute pulmonary embolism'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Stein, P. D., Matta, F., Yaekoub, A. Y., Kazerooni, E. A., Cahill, J. E., Goodman, L. R., Sostman, H. D., Hales, C. A., Denier, J. E., Weg, J. G., Ghumman, D., Chan, K. M., Woodard, P. K., & Kwun, Y. (2010). CT venous phase venography with 64-detector CT angiography in the diagnosis of acute pulmonary embolism. Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis, 16(4), 422-429. https://doi.org/10.1177/1076029609335502