Cholecystokinin receptors in brain: Effects of obesity, drug treatment, and lesions

S. E. Hays, F. K. Goodwin, S. M. Paul

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

35 Scopus citations

Abstract

High affinity binding sites specific for cholecystokinin (CCK) and related peptides have been identified in brain. These receptors are regionally distributed, with the greatest density in the caudate nucleus and olfactory bulbs. The number of forebrain CCK receptors increases postnatally to a peak density at 12 days of age and then falls to adult concentrations by 26 days of age. Cerebral cortical (but not hypothalamic) CCK receptors were 15-18% higher (p<0.05) in obese rats and mice when compared with their lean littermates; however, CCK receptors were unchanged after 96 hours of fasting in normal rats. Chronic reserpine treatment (0.75 mg/kg/day × 7 days) caused a 48% increase (p<0.001) in the number of cerebral cortical CCK receptors, but had no effect on receptors in the caudate nucleus. Chronic d-amphetamine sulfate (5 mg/kg twice daily × 7 days) had no effect on CCK binding in cortex or caudate nucleus. Approximately 75% of the CCK receptors in the caudate nucleus are susceptible to destruction by kainic acid, indicating that they are predominantly localized to neuronal cell bodies; the remaining 25% were destroyed by severing caudal afferents to the caudate nucleus, indicating a possible presynaptic localization.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)21-26
Number of pages6
JournalPeptides
Volume2
Issue numberSUPPL. 1
DOIs
StatePublished - 1981
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Amphetamine
  • CCK
  • Caudate nucleus
  • Obesity
  • Receptors
  • Reserpine

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Cholecystokinin receptors in brain: Effects of obesity, drug treatment, and lesions'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this