Pediatric and NF2-associated meningiomas are uncommon and poorly characterized in comparison to sporadic adult cases. In order to elucidate their molecular features, we analyzed MIB-1, progesterone receptor (PR), NF2, merlin, DAL-1, DAL-1 protein, and chromosomal arms 1p and 14q in 53 meningiomas from 40 pediatric/NF2 patients using immunohistochemistry and dual-color fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH). Fourteen pediatric (42%) patients, including 5 previously undiagnosed patients, had NF2. The remaining 19 (58%) did not qualify. All 7 of the adult patients had NF2. Meningioma grading revealed 21 benign (40%), 26 atypical (49%), and 6 anaplastic (11%) examples. Other aggressive findings included high mitotic index (32%), high MIB-1 LI (37%), aggressive variant histology (e.g. papillary, clear cell) (25%), brain invasion (17%), recurrence (39%), and patient death (17%). FISH analysis demonstrated deletions of NF2 in 82%, DAL-1 in 82%, 1p in 60%, and 14q in 66%. NF2-associated meningiomas did not differ from sporadic pediatric tumors except for a higher frequency of merlin loss in the former (p=0.020) and a higher frequency of brain invasion in the latter (p=0.007). Thus, although pediatric and NF2-associated meningiomas share the common molecular alterations of their adult, sporadic counterparts, a higher fraction are genotypically and phenotypically aggressive. Given the high frequency of undiagnosed NF2 in the pediatric cases, a careful search for other features of this disease is warranted in any child presenting with a meningioma.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)994-1003
Number of pages10
JournalJournal of neuropathology and experimental neurology
Issue number10
StatePublished - 2001


  • Childhood
  • Chromosome 1
  • Chromosome 14
  • DAL-1
  • Malignant tumor
  • Meningioma
  • NF2


Dive into the research topics of 'Aggressive phenotypic and genotypic features in pediatric and NF2-associated meningiomas: A clinicopathologic study of 53 cases'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this